The Open-Source Game Development Pipeline

Providing the means and education to create games using free/libre open-source tools.


Leave a comment

Update: 7-12-17

Howdy, folks! 🙂

I’ve just about got all the research finished that I will be presenting at this year’s ORConf. I’m confident that this presentation will be a doozy. 😉

In other news, the GodotEngine is making great strides in programming-language support, thanks to their GDNative interface.

I’m also looking into Replicant as a mobile operating system substitute for Android, and have inquired about possible Kotlin integration.

Hope everybody is having a great Summer. Stay tuned!

Cheers! 🙂


Leave a comment

Eat, Grow, Compute

Howdy, folks!

I finally fixed the kinks in my software renderer, but even so, the clipping algorithm isn’t perfect, and it’s still missing features like occlusion-culling, tangent-space normal mapping, and others. I’m going to just put that on the shelf for the time being until after ORConf, because there’s still enough functionality to create a fun, detailed presentation.

In other news, I’ve been working on a organic farm where I’m learning how to grow various types of crops. The reason I am doing this is to find alternative ways to acquire the materials needed to make Organic Field Effect Transistors. In other words, I’m trying to invent a more accessible model for the creation of computers made from plants! 🙂

Besides that, I’ll keep you all posted on any new developments, as I usually do. 😉

Also, Krita released a bugfix update recently! You can read about it here.

Cheers!


Leave a comment

It’s Aliiiiiiiiiiiive

Howdy, folks! 🙂

Just posting to demonstrate the progress I’ve made with my C-based software renderer. It is currently churning out several thousand-triangle meshes (with perspective texture-mapping and shading at 720p resolution) at ~80 fps. It has yet to be properly parallelized, so that number may increase.

I’m currently getting meshes to transform inappropriately due to Blender being a Z-up right-handed coordinate system, and my scene graph a Y-up left-handed coordinate system. I’ve already gotten my COLLADA importer to work, but just need to make some final adjustments before models are correctly brought into the scene. As you can see below, Suzanne is being rendered, but with her face pointing downward… I don’t want her to keep kissing the floor! 😡

Software renderer in action! Poor Suzanne… 😦

I will keep updating this blog with further progress as ORConf gets closer. Stay tuned!

In other news, the Godot Engine just had another maintenance release recently. You can download version 2.1.3 here.

Cheers! 🙂


Leave a comment

Third Time’s a Charm

Well, here we are… three years and still going. Who’d have thought, eh? 😉

It’s been one heck of a journey, and I’ve certainly changed along the way. I now embrace GNU/Linux more fully than I have in the past, thanks in part to trying out a whole bunch of operating systems over the last few years. I now understand which languages I need to focus on ( C ) in order to make my code accessible to the world, and I’m actively trying to make a mark in the domain of free hardware as well. 🙂

On that note, I submitted a presentation to this year’s ORConf which was accepted, so I’ve been spending my time writing a parallelized software renderer in C. I’m also currently writing a COLLADA loader in C as well, and I intend to write an article about it in order to demystify the process for newcomers. An additional benefit is that people will be able port this code to other languages without too much difficulty (and/or they can throw some bindings on top of the C code I’ve written).

Here’s to another wonderful year! 🙂

Cheers!


Leave a comment

COLLADA and You

Hi readers! 😀

I’ve been doing a lot more research into 3D formats, and now think you should stick with engines that provide COLLADA support. I’ve become a lot more familiar with the specification recently, and realize that it makes more sense to use this interchange format for development, and then rely upon an optimized binary version of meshes for deployment.

This tutorial offers a great introduction to the format, as well as parsing it natively if you want to roll your own parser. I’ve also updated the tools page with a COLLADA exporter for Blender that validates properly when tested against the 1.4.1 version of the schema.

Besides that, there are three days remaining until the blog’s third anniversary! 🙂

Cheers!